Friday, July 07, 2006

31-Minute Speed Dating...

I left my house with enough time to get to my date. There must have been something going on in DC and a lot of streets were closed. So I had to park about a mile away -- and it was 92 degrees. I was doing well, though...I wasn't sweating. That is -- until I got to Starbucks. I made good time and was only 5 minutes late and I was anticipating the feel of the air conditioning. I looked at my phone as I stepped into Starbucks and it was 6:05pm...and, coincidently it was 605 degrees inside this Starbucks. My god! What the hell is wrong with this place? I had never been in a Starbucks and now I'll never go back. Why do they keep it that hot? The sweat started poring off of me as my recent fast walk/slow jog to the date caught up with me. I grabbed a bunch of napkins to towel down as I studied the menu. As I was desperately searching for non-coffee items and furiously emptying the napkin dispensers, the cashier asked me for my selection. I looked over and my date had already ordered and was paying.

LaurenR: "It's on me. What do you want?"
BiffM: "No, no...I got it."
LaurenR: "It's okay." (She handed money to the cashier.)

I wasn't going to start the date arguing over two or three dollars. After all I could barely think straight with the sweat rushing into my ears like Angel Falls. I went with it and ordered a lemonade. We had to wait about 10 minutes as the workers were having difficulties. (The difficulties were most likely due to brain damage from being kept like dogs in a parked car on a summer afternoon.) Finally, we walked outside into the 90 degree weather to cool down. Ahhhh...that felt good. Someone walked by briskly and I got a little air on my one arm. Now, I was cool. We grabbed a bench and chatted for a little. The conversation wasn' t great, but it wasn' t horrible.

LaurenR: "Well, I'm gonna get going."

(You might think I skipped over the conversation, but I really didn't. It felt that short to me, too.)

I looked at my cell phone again...6:36pm. I wasn't going argue. I just wanted to go home and crawl in the oven for some relief from the heat.

My point to this entry is about the paying part of this date. I have found that if the girl pays for the date, it is because she never wants to see you again. I think she feels that she doesn't owe you a second date or sex or anything if she pays. It has happened to me three times, now. The other two times the girl paid as I was in the restroom. Two of these three were mutual rejections, but that's neither here nor there. The thing is...if the girl insists on paying, just leave. You're done.

2 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

I pay for dates. I actually wrote a post about it.

http://sexylovepits.blogspot.com/2006/06/its-all-part-of-my-game-yo.html

See, the reason why a girl pays for the date is so she can assume control of the date. She doesn't have to worry about what to order or if she has to put out at the end of the night.

2:05 PM  
Blogger TheTart said...

I agree with Crystal. If you pay you can order what you want & have a no obligation date night.

On the other hand ... I paid the other day & I really wanted him. Hmm, but he has a girlfriend ~~ so I have no idea why I paid. ?

Love your bloggy! I have Bloglined you. ; )
Smooch,
The Tart

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home