Saturday, January 21, 2006

Any Interest in Talking?

Yvette T had "rules" for dating with included, "I don't want to go on any dates. I'd rather just hang out."

(Oh, I totally understand. I don't like to eat. So instead, I simply put food in my mouth and swallow.)

She and I started talking because we both liked the same football team. She wasn't much for email or phone conversations. So, we should probably meet in person.

BiffM: "What are you doing for the game this weekend?"

Yvette T: "I haven't decided."

a couple days pass...

BiffM: "Did you decide on what to do for the game?"

Yvette T: "I'm thinking so-n-so bar"

(Damn these one line replies! Does that mean "I'm thinking so-n-so bar, so you should come, too?" or "I'm thinking so-n-so bar with my friends, so have fun at home by yourself?")

I made other plans.

The next day I got a (one line) text message.

Yvette T: "What happened to you?"

(Ummm...I went somewhere that I was INVITED to!)

I was tired of her one line text messages, so I didn't initiate contact. A week later I got a voicemail on my cell. I can't have my cell phone at work, so I didn't get it until 7pm that night. It was sent at 11am.

Yvette T: "I really need a drink. Wanna meet up?"

(Question...did she mean getting a drink at 11am on a Tuesday? Who is she? Barney Gumble from the Simpsons??)

I text back one line saying I can't have my cell phone at work, so here is my work number for next time. (I guess she could still call my cell if it was before work, like 8am and she needed a drink.)

Naturally, she text messages my cell during work hours the next day. (Because if I can't have my cell with me for voicemails during the day, I might have it with me for text messages.) She asked to get a drink again.

I gave up. Last night, I was leaving a bar and was upset about something, so I text messaged her and asked what she was up to. She replied right away and oddly enough, she was about two blocks away. So, I stopped by. She and her two friends were at a table against the wall. Her friends flanked her on both sides and she was the one facing the wall. I surprised her by introducing myself. She introduced me to her two friends and immediately went back to talking to them.

(I guess email and phone weren't the only conversations she wasn't good at. And no wonder she doesn't like to "date." Dating sometimes includes talking to the other person. But "hanging out"...that is different (I found out) . "Hanging out" apparently means "stand behind me while I talk with my other friends.")

So, I did that for a couple of minutes. I figured she might be wrapping up a great story to them. They reached a pause, so I knew there was no story being relayed. After using the restroom, I walked by them on my way out the front door. I didn't bother saying goodbye...

(You know...I didn't want to interrupt their "pause.")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home