Wednesday, May 20, 2009

It's Love I tell ya...

My mom always tells people that I'm single because I'm looking for my Jennifer Love Hewitt. Well, I met the spitting image of her. It was scary how much they looked alike. The only difference (besides the millions of dollars and the tabloid appearances) was that "Rania" was Arabic. Give JLH olive skin and a nose stud and they are identical. Rania didn't know who JLH was until I told her to google her. She was amazed, too.

Needless to say, I asked out Rania a few times. Eventually, I leaned in to kiss her goodnight and she pulled away. As you know, I've been down this road many a time. I did ask her out again a couple of times, but she always had something going on. So, I laid off the asking out. Rania called me every day. I let it up to her to ask me out, but that never happened. During one phone call, she asked "so how are your match.com dates?" I thought that was odd, so I blew it off. The next time she called, she asked the same thing. "Alright," I thought. "If you want to know...two girls cancelled on me this week." Rania got all quiet. Finally she said, "I can't talk to you right now" and she hung up. A few minutes later, I got a text: "Have fun with your other girls." (Was I just dumped by a girl I didn't even know I was dating?)

I quickly responded, "Hey, you asked. What was I supposed to think? You wouldn't kiss me and you wouldn't commit to another date. I thought you just wanted to be friends."

She apologized, "you're right. I'm sorry."

A couple of days later she called and we had a long talk. It turns out that we have different cultures. Usually in the US, you go out with someone for a while and then commit. Apparently, in Morocco, you commit to someone and THEN figure out if you like them. I could not continue to see her. I mean, in our culture it's polite to open a door for a girl. What if in her culture that is a sign of engagement? I couldn't risk it. I wasn't ready to get engaged to her just yet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home